Wednesday 6 March 2024

Why ... links and other things

So what is the purpose of this blog?

Put simply, it is to tell the world (or at least us and our immediate neighbours) what a wonderful little Common and community we have here. A Common and community that we want to preserve for our successors, be they our children, our grand-children and/or whoever buys our houses from us! 

The idea, the real inspiration for this blog came from what one news source calls a controversy which "erupted"  over the conversion of a pub to Hindu place of worship. I found myself having to "object" to this which I realised might not seem like a positive, life-affirming activity. So I decided I would try to turn my objection into a positive portrait of a beautiful space I wanted to protect: Littleworth Common. And I found others who agreed with me.

To be honest, we don't want to develop a big tourist business here since there are not an enormous number of available parking spaces. We do want those who live here or nearby to enjoy what we have: a beautiful area where we can appreciate the natural outside pleasures of walking (or riding or cycling on designated paths) around the Common. In years gone by, when I was running marathons, I personally would have added running or at least jogging to that list, but nowadays I leave that to others! 

As an example of this beautiful area we live in, on or nearby, just look at these first two photos of one of our ponds. Photos taken yesterday afternoon,



In fact, this is not two photos: it is the same photo twice, but one is the other one but upside down. The absolute calm of the pond makes it a little difficult to tell which is which! Walking a few yards on, I got another wonderful photo:


I think that is the right way up!

So I hope my readers understand what I am trying to do here. It's a record - mainly mine so far - of all the beautiful things l love about Littleworth Common. But it's a record for which I will be delighted to get the contributions of others. With your photos, videos, words, memories, whatever. Contact me to let me know what you want to share here.

And this being an age of social media (apart from yesterday when Instagram and Facebook disappeared for a few hours: did you even notice?), we'll be posting some photos elsewhere too.

Here are our current social media links: 

Instagram

Facebook

Twitter

Looking forward to sharing more photos, more memories. And looking forward even more to seeing your photos and hearing your memories!

No comments: